Many couples are using acupuncture to improve chances of successful IVF.
Acupuncture is often done during IVF procedures and is also performed on the day of the embryo transfer.
Five Reasons Acupuncture Helps Improve IVF Success
1. Improve ovarian function: Part of the IVF process involves stimulating the ovaries to produce more follicles and higher quality eggs, since healthy eggs are the basis for a successful pregnancy. Acupuncture can help increase the number of eggs and the quality of those eggs in the months leading up to the IVF procedures.
2. Lower FSH levels: A high FSH (follicular stimulating hormone) level suggests that the ovaries are not functioning as well as they should be. Acupuncture helps to regulate hormone levels and improve ovarian function, which in turn lowers FSH levels. This is important because many IVF clinics will use the FSH level to help decide whether or not to go ahead with IVF procedures
3. Reduce stress: Some people (both men and women) find that going through IVF is stressful. Acupuncture is a good way to calm the body and mind, reduce discomfort, and alleviate stress while preparing for IVF.
4. Improve the immune system: A healthy person may get pregnant more easily, so it’s helpful to have your body in top form before you start IVF. Acupuncture can improve immunity help keep you healthy and make sure that your body is functioning well.
5. Improve the quantity and quality of semen: Fertility treatment often seems to focus much more on the women, but their only half the equation. Acupuncture can be very helpful to men as well, especially in cases where a male partner has low sperm count, low motility (movement) of sperm, or sperm that are not formed correctly (poor morphology). Even just a couple of months of acupuncture can help create better sperm before IVF even starts.
The next posts describe the IVF procedure more in depth and discusses ways that acupuncture can help you once you have already started IVF.