Here in New York City, eye strain in a major problem. We’re always staring at our computer screens or phones. It is important to pay attention to your body because eyestrain can lead to damage and oxidative stress.
There are healthy habits you can start, which will help. First, stop staring at your computer screen and take a break. But also, acupressure is great. In this post I will share some acupressure points that can help relieve the strain. These points are also good for painful and itchy eyes from allergies.
For the strongest results, use these points as a routine starting with the first one to the last.
1. Gall Bladder 37 (GB 37)- GB 37 is one of the most powerful points for eye strain and eye pain. It is located on the outside of the calf. To find it, put your finger on the outside of ankle and it is about 2 hands width up from the side of the ankle.
2. Urinary Bladder 1- This is the first point on the Urinary Bladder Channel (UB) and it is located in the upper inside corner of the eye orbital. The eye orbital is bones of the skull around the eyes. Rub it with your index finger in small circles. It can be very sensitive when you eyes are strain. Rubbing for 30 seconds will help to relieve the pain.
3. Rub around the orbital-You can rub with your knuckles in small circles. Start at your eyebrows and work your way around the eye. Go all the way around the eyes 4 or 5 times.
4. Brush your hair- Using your hand as a comb, brush your hair. Go from the front to the back of the head towards the base of the skull. As you brush your hair, massage your scalp. This will help relieve muscle tension in the head as well.
5. San Jiao 6 (SJ 6)- This point is on the arm. Start at the pinky side of the wrist. This point is about an inch up the arm towards your elbow. Rub this point to relieve pain. It can also work for eye twitching.
Do this routine daily to help prevent eyestrain. If your eyes are feeling weary this will help you feel better. And remember to take a break from staring at the computer screen.
Stay tuned for the best acupressure routine for allergies.